Lightly Cured Akoya with Dill, Cucumber & Native Finger Lime Salsa
- 24 Leeuwin Coast Akoya
For the salsa
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red native finger lime caviar
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, deseeded & very finely diced
- 1 tbsp shallot, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 200ml verjuice
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dill, finely chopped
- 50ml olive oil
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell.
- Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate.
- Repeat on the other shell to release the meat.
- Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to prepare.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Leave for 5 minutes and transfer the Akoya to the cold marinade. Leave for 3-12 hours.
- Rinse and reserve the shells.
- Prepare and mix together the salsa ingredients.
- Spoon Akoya back into shells, spoon salsa on top. Serve on top of crushed ice or rock salt.