Garlic Butter Akoya with Herbed Bread Crust
16 Leeuwin Coast Akoya
120g softened butter
3 tbsp crushed garlic
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
8 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell.
- Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate.
- Repeat on the other shell to release the meat.
- Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 200c (fan forced) or heat BBQ grill to a high heat.
- Prepare the garlic butter by mixing the butter, garlic, pepper and half the parsley. Mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining parsley.
- Top each Akoya with a generous amount of garlic butter, and a half a tablespoon of breadcrumbs.
- For oven baked Akoya: place Akoya on crumpled foil or a bed of rock salt on a baking tray and bake for 3 minutes until butter is hot & bubbling.
- For BBQ’d Akoya: place directly on BBQ Grill and grill with lid closed for 3 minutes until butter is hot & bubbling.