Will Meyrick’s Akoya with Tosazu, Salmon Roe, Wakame & Chives
12 Leeuwin Coast Akoya
4 tsp of salmon roe
4 tsp of ground wakame
6 tsp of chopped chives
Rayu chilli oil
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp bonito dashi stock
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell. Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate. Repeat on the other shell to release the meat. Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to prepare.
- Blanch in boiling water for 30 secs then refresh in iced water and place back on the shell.
- Mix together the Tosazu ingredients and pour a teaspoon of the dressing on each Akoya.
- Top with 1/3 teaspoon of salmon roe, 1/3 teaspoon ground wakame and 1/2 teaspoon chopped chives on each Akoya.
- Add a few drops of Rayu chilli oil to each Akoya and serve immediately.