Steamed Akoya with Asian Mushroom Stir-fry, Garlic Shoot Beansprouts, Ginger & Spring Onions
12 Leeuwin Coast Akoya
1 punnet Shimeji mushrooms
1 punnet King Oyster mushrooms
50g bean shoots
1/4 bunch garlic chives, finely chopped
60g baby tatsoi leaves
1 red chilli, finely julienned
5 tbsp white soy
3 tbsp Shaoxing
1 tsp white sugar
2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp sesame oil
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell. Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate. Repeat on the other shell to release the meat. Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to prepare.
- Keep the Akoya in the shell & chill on ice until ready to steam.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients until the sugar has dissolved.
- Trim the base from the Shimeji mushroom and slice the King mushroom into 5mm slices.
- Heat one tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok until smoking, quickly stir-fry mushrooms until golden, deglaze with half of the shaoxing dressing and set aside in a bowl with the bean shoots, garlic chives and tatsoi.
- Place the Akoya in a steamer basket and dress each one with a teaspoon of dressing. Steam over rapidly boiling water for one minute until just cooked.
- Arrange the stir-fried mushroom on the plate, top with steamed Akoya and serve immediately.