Ponzu Marinated Akoya with Avocado, Lime & Karkalla
- Add all ponzu ingredients to a pot except for the lime juice, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool in the fridge, add lime juice when cold.
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell. Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate. Repeat on the other shell to release the meat. Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to prepare.
- Place Akoya carefully into the cold ponzu. Leave for 12-24 hours. The longer you leave, the more flavour they will take on.
- Clean and reserve the shells for serving.
- To serve, spoon Akoya into shell, top with a small amount of avocado puree and then with the karkalla.