Ponzu Marinated Akoya with Avocado, Lime & Karkalla
- Add all ponzu ingredients to a pot except for the lime juice, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool in the fridge, add lime juice when cold.
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell.
- Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate.
- Repeat onthe other shell to release the meat.
- Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to prepare.
- Place Akoya carefully into the cold ponzu. Leave for 12-24 hours. The longer you leave, the more flavour they will take on.
- Clean and reserve the shells for serving.
- To serve, spoon Akoya into shell, top with a small amount of avocado puree and then with the karkalla.