Poached Akoya with Soy Mirin Dressing
12 Leeuwin Coast Akoya
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp mirin
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
Red caviar or salmon roe to garnish
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- Bring salted water to a rolling boil and poach the Akoya in the shell for 45 seconds and refresh briefly in ice water.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell.
- Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate.
- Repeat on the other shell to release the meat.
- Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to serve.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together, place the Akoya back on the shell and spoon a teaspoon of dressing on each one.
- Top with caviar or roe and serve immediately.