Poached Akoya with Soy Mirin Dressing
12 Leeuwin Coast Akoya
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp mirin
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
Red caviar or salmon roe to garnish
- Thaw Akoya in fridge for 2hrs or 1hr on the benchtop before use.
- Bring salted water to a rolling boil and poach the Akoya in the shell for 45 seconds and refresh briefly in ice water.
- To shuck, pinch either side of the Akoya at the bottom to create a gap in the top of the shell. Using a blunt knife, insert the knife between the shell and the Akoya meat and gently separate. Repeat on the other shell to release the meat. Gently remove the green byssal thread by pulling sideways and the Akoya is ready to serve.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together, place the Akoya back on the shell and spoon a teaspoon of dressing on each one.
- Top with caviar or roe and serve immediately.