Albany Rock Oysters with Lime Pickled Cucumber & Tapioca
A simple pickled cucumber salsa with the added textural interest of chewy tapioca pearls. A beautifully fresh addition to our pristine oysters.
- 12 Albany Rock Oysters
- ¼ cup pearl tapioca, small
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- Caster sugar
- Cook tapioca in a saucepan of boiling water until transparent (15-20 minutes).
- Drain in a sieve and rinse under cold running water then drain and transfer to a container.
- Slice the cucumber cheeks from the seeds and discard the seeds.
- Finely dice the cucumber flesh to 2mm.
- Add the diced cucumber to a small bowl with zest and juice of lime then season with salt and sugar to taste. Start with ½ tsp sugar and 2 pinches of flakey salt and work from there.
- Allow the cucumber to sit for ten minutes, refrigerated to pickle.
- After 10 minutes stir 4 tablespoons of the tapioca through the cucumber.
- Refrigerate until ready to use, then top each oyster with a little and serve the rest on the side in a small bowl.
- Green chilli finely diced could be a lovely addition to the cucumber mix if you like a little heat.
- The cucumber mix is best used within an hour of making so it retains a little crunch.