Albany Rock Oysters with Grapefruit Granita, Finger Lime & Lime zest
Pretty as a picture this grapefruit granita with finger lime pearls perfectly enhances the glory of our Albany Rock Oysters.
- 12 Albany Rock Oysters, shucked
For the Simple Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lime zest
For the Granita
- 1 cup fresh pink or red grapefruit juice (2-3 grapefruit)
- 1/2 cup chilled water, optional
- 2 finger lime, pearls squeezed from the fruit OR 2 Tbsp frozen pearls thawed
- Zest of 1 lime
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and allow the syrup to cool, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour the juice into a medium bowl, add 1/3 cup of the syrup. Stir well, taste, and add more syrup to make it sweeter, if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to a small square metal baking pan, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 1 hour.
- Use a fork to scrape the frozen parts of the granita and mix it with portions that are still liquid.
- Repeat this process every hour until the granita is completely frozen. This may take 4 to 5 hours, or longer.
- The granita should have a flaky snow-like ice texture.
- When ready to serve, fork the granita one last time to make it fluffy, then spoon a teaspoon onto each oysters. You will have granita left over.
- Garnish each oyster with a quarter teaspoon of finger lime pearls and dust with lime zest.